1. The below process will demonstrate how to recover either an entire information store (in a disaster recovery situation) and how to merge an individual, or group of users email, to replace missing or corrupt items.
Open the Exchange management console on the mailbox server and choose “Database Recovery Management from the “Toolbox”.
2. Give a name to this activity and enter the mailbox server or cluster name in the “Exchange server name (required):” field and choose next.
5. Point the recovery path to your recovery storage group area (you should have a LUN reserved for this purpose) and click “Create recovery storage group”.
7. Here we used “NetWorker user for Exchange Server”, you can use NTBackup from Windows also for restoring the backup data. Choose the Information store you would like to recover to the recovery storage group. Start the recovery.
8. The recovery may take a while. The time it takes will largely depend on how large the Information store you are recovering is. Once complete, the client will display the recovery results. Please remember that the recovery will fail if you have not created your recovery storage group.
9. Go back to the “Troubleshooting Assistant” and choose “Mount or dismount databases in the recovery storage group”.
12. If you are recovering the Information store because the original was lost or corrupt, users will now automatically be able to send and receive from the recovered location. Please read the “Recovery of an Information store document” to continue your recovery of the store to its original location. To recover an individual or group of users email, choose “Merge or copy mailbox contents”.
15. Select the user(s) you would like to merge (recover corrupt or missing email) and choose “Perform merge actions”. This will compare the users email in the information store and the data that is contained in the backup and recover any missing items. Once the merge is complete, choose “Go back to task center”
16. Important. You must dismount the recovery database and remove the recovered files before you will be able to make another recovery. Choose “Mount or dismount database in the recovery storage group”.
17. Select the Information store and choose “Dismount selected database”. Once complete, select “Go back to task center”.
18. Choose “Remove the recovery storage group”. On the next screen, confirm the removal. Once this has been completed, you may close the tool and delete the recovered content for the recovery area. NOTE: Until you remove this recovered data, you will not be able to make another recovery.