Today, during migration customer asked enable email forwarding some of the Remote users (Office365). Now questions is "how do I forward email outside of Office 365?"
I will attempt to describe all the different options available to you.
There are two main categories of forwarding you'll need to pick from:
Option 1: Forwarding an Office 365 mailbox - this scenario is typical when you want an Office 365 login, whether it is because you need one for another Office 365 service, or because you eventually will move all your email to Office 365.
Option 2: Forwarding for a simple email address - this is beneficial when there is no need to store any email on Office 365 for the address.
In both options, we will use the same paradigm. Cloud.com is my Office 365 domain. I want all email sent to dinesh.Singh@Cloud.com to be forwarded to Dinesh.Singh@Tech.com, which is my external domain.
Option 1: Forwarding email sent to an Office 365 mailbox
If you are a user of Office 365 and want to simply set up forwarding for your own mailbox, you can do that by doing the following
1. Log into Outlook Web App
2. In the top right corner of the OWA window, press the “Cogwheel” button that will take you to Settings, and then choose Options
3. From the Options page, where Account is selected in the left frame and My Account is selected in the middle. Click on the “Forward your email” link on the right
4. Under the Forwarding section, type in the external email address that you want to forward your mail to and press the “Start Forwarding” button:
Option 2: Forwarding for a simple email address
The following steps need to be performed by a user that has administrative rights on your tenant organization.
1. Log into the Office 365 portal.
2. Click on Admin.
3. Under the Recipients section, click on the Contacts section and then press the + sign to create a new contact:
5. Choose the Mail User from the list of available options:
6. Fill out the details for the new external user; make sure to specify the external email address that you want to forward the email to, to be listed under “External email address” field. Then press Save
7. Go back to the Mailboxes section. Select the mailbox that you want to set the mail forwarding for and press the “EDIT” button:
8. Under Mailbox Features in the properties of the user, scroll downward until you reach the Mail Flow section. The first section deals with Delivery Options. Click on “View Details” option.
9. Check the “Enable forwarding” checkbox and then press the “Browse” button. Then select the Mail User object you created above and press “OK”:
10. Press “OK” and then Save to close all of the remaining dialog boxes.
Hope entire process will help you to fillfull the customer requirement.