Microsoft’s recent announcements about the improved Office 365 Import Service and Auto Scaling, Highly Scalable Archives are great news for those companies moving to Office 365 and looking to remove local copies of PST files.
There were a number of third-party tools available or even a tool from Microsoft such as “PST Capture Tool” pretty painful to use and quite buggy. If there were small quantities of PSTs that needed to be imported, you could probably make it work but it wasn’t great for anything large scale. Another previous options is that we were uploading the PSTs over the Internet which could be time consuming depending on the amount of data or network speed.
Microsoft released the new Office365 Import Service, following is the features
- Quicker imports of data into Exchange online Archive Mailboxes.
- Import Exchange Online data through PST files into the service without using third party tools.
- Migrate PST file to Exchange Online.
- Larger volumes of data you can copy your PST archive files onto a hard drive and then send this by courier directly to the nearest Microsoft Datacenter.
- For smaller amounts of data you can upload the PST files to an Azure storage account, and Microsoft will import the email data from there.
Why use the Office365 Import Service
- It will help address compliance such as data discovery, subject to retention policies and discovered by auditing controls.
- It will help to protect data loss.
- Cut over migration for multi forest environment where you have less number of user (~500) with small size of mailbox size.
- Migrate Archive mailbox migration.
There are two option on Import Service
Ship data drive: If you have to transfer a large amount of data, you can choose the ship drive option because uploading large amount data it over the network is not feasible.
Upload the data over network: If you have smaller amount of data you can choose upload the PST files over the network.
Both methods end result to data getting moved into Office365 mailbox.
- PST file , we need to collect PST file either copied into the hard drive or upload to the cloud storage.
- You have to have an Office 365 subscription with active user and mailboxes for all users which email data is going to be import.
- PST to user mapping file.
- For shipping hard drive, you need to make sure Hard Drive larger than 4 TB are support, Data volume must be formatted with NTFS.
- BitLocker encryption must be enabled for all hard drive
High Level Process
- Consolidate PSTs into network share.
- Download and install the Microsoft Azure Storage Tools
- Obtain unique upload URL and Key
- Upload the PST data using AZcopy.exe tool. (You can download from Microsoft –Azure Storage Tools http://aka.ms/downloadazcopy)
- Create mapping file.
- Import the data into mailboxes
Assign the Mailbox Import Export admin role to a user in Office365 portal
You need to be assigned the Mailbox Import Export role.
To assign the Mailbox Import Export admin role
- In the Office 365 admin center, choose the ADMIN in the left pane, and then choose Exchange.
- In the Exchange admin center, choose permissions > admin roles, and then select Compliance Management.
- Choose the Plus symbol (+) to add a new role group.
- In the Role Group dialog box, type a name and a description for the role group.
- To add a role, choose the Plus symbol (+) above the Roles list.
- In the Select a Role dialog box, choose Mailbox Import Export in the DISPLAY NAME list, and then choose add > OK.
- In the new role group dialog box, choose the Plus symbol (+) above the Members list, and then select the users you want to have this role.
Import files to Office365 by Shipping Drive
- Download and Install the drive preparation tool (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn529093.aspx)
- Copy the unique tenant key.
- Prepare your drive- Azure import/Export tool will generate the drive journal file for each drive, it will include the drive ID & BitLocker key.
- Create the PST to User mapping file
- Create a new import job in the Office365 admin center
Choose Ship on Physical hard drives Give the Name of the Job Add mapping file
- Ship the drives- ship the drive to the address of the Microsoft Datacenter obtained.
Import PST file into Office365 through Network Upload
- Download the network upload tool (http://aka.ms/downloadazcopy).
- Get the Storage account key and URL.
Copy the key Copy the key
- Use Microsoft Azure AZCopy tool to upload the PST file
- Create the PST to user mapping file to upload.
- Create a new PST file upload
Select Upload files over the network
Once you click on finish, you can check the Import progress on Portal itself.Also if you want to view the one particular job status you can click on viewFor smaller sets of data, I will recommend network uploads of PST files to Microsoft servers, which we then import into Exchange Online mailboxes.For larger datasets, you can copy PST archive files onto hard drives and mail them directly to Microsoft datacenters. Once Microsoft receive the drives, they will copy the PST files to internal servers and then import the mail into Exchange Online mailboxesHope entire process will help some of the guy who are looking for upload PST file to using third party tool, i can say its cost effective solution by Microsoft.Thank you!